It’s only a few weeks in to the 2018/2019 North American ski season and it has been off the charts – literally!
My social media feeds and newsletters are full of resorts announcing massive snowfalls in the Rocky Mountains, earlier than usual resort and terrain opening dates. I really hope this keeps up and that it is a good sign for the remainder of the season. So far it is looking positive; many of the forecasts seem to be predicting higher than average snowfalls for the Rockies.
For me, a good season is particularly important this year because I am planning a winter wedding in the Rockies. And, really, what could be more appropriate than a mountain-top wedding when you met your future spouse while working at a ski resort?
We’ve got an awesome trip planned, including lots of skiing. I am just as excited about honeymoon as I am about the actual wedding!
Trip Plan Overview
- Wedding Preparations
- We will fly to Colorado for a week an a half of final wedding prep. Planning from Australia has been a little difficult, but luckily my parents still live there and have been able to help out.
- Our final preparations includes a free dinner at the venue and a cake tasting, so it won’t all be hard work.
- We also plan to buy new skis during this week, so we will probably demo a few pairs first.
- Buck Show/Hen’s Show (a.k.a. Bachelor & Bachelorette Parties)
- My fiancé has planned a whole weekend in Las Vegas with the boys. Yep, just like the movie. (Here’s hoping it’s not actually like the movie.)
- I’m going to spend a night with the girls in Fort Collins, Colorado. This is going to be great – it’s where I went to college (Go Rams!) so I’m looking forward to a night out in Old Town and a good brunch the morning after.
- The Wedding Weekend
- We’ll be staying and getting married at Keystone Resort. I’m looking forward to sharing the ski-resort atmosphere with a lot of our friends and family. Many of our friends have never even seen snow!
- Post Wedding Ski Trip
- We’ve got a few days post-wedding to hang out with friends and family in Summit County and ski.
- We have some nice hotels booked and we’ve booked a combination of hotels and apartments so we can cook for ourselves a few times. While this does save money, it’s also because we both feel that after travelling for a long time you actually just want a home-cooked meal some nights.
- 6 nights in Park City (the first place I skied)
- 1 night in Vancouver
- 6 nights Whistler (I’ve always wanted to go here)
- 1 day booked for Whistler Heli-Skiing!
Heli-skiing is the item at the very top of my bucket list. I’ve been saying for years that I wanted to do this on my honeymoon, and for a while I wasn’t sure we were going to pull it off; I am so excited that we have actualy booked it in! (It was even less expensive than I was expecting.) I keep making sure to tell myself that it is weather-dependent because I don’t want to be too disappointed if we can’t go.
Side Note: If you are planning a big ski trip or an activity like heli-skiing, do be sure your travel insurance covers these activities. We’ve had to pay an excess but they will cover us and I think that is really important.
Not only am I excited about the trip because of the wedding, the great things we have planned, and seeing family and friends, but I am really just looking forward to some time off. I’ve managed to get 6 weeks leave for the trip. I’ve never had that much time off work before – without quitting my job – and I think I am just as excited about the break as the trip itself.
Only 60 days left until we go!
6 replies on “Ski Trip March 2019 Preview: Wedding Bells”
Great post 😁
Cheers! Thank you for reading, I’m glad you enjoyed it.
No problem:) thanks for sharing! Stop by my blog whenever you get the chance 🙂
[…] I need the time to rebuild my endurance and speed, and it takes into account our upcoming six-week ski holiday. While I won’t be running as much, skiing is still a decent workout so it will be an […]
Thanks for your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back sometime soon. I want to encourage you continue your great posts, have a nice day!
Thanks for reading! I’m glad you enjoyed the post.